Thursday, March 12, 2015

"Be The Change"

After moving in 2009, I had the worst attitude about everything. I left my home in beautiful green Washington to the dry desolate wasteland of Utah. I went day by day wishing I were back home. Then, I was recommended to go to an activity called, “Be the Change,” in my high school. “Be the Change” was taken from a quote from Gandhi, “Be the change you want to see in the world”. (Edburg) We discussed how people have different situations and believe in different things. We helped each other understand one another and figured out how to personally have a positive effect on the world. Ever since that time, I have been trying to make a more influential change in the world.
            “Be the Change” opened my eyes to thinking of others rather than just myself. I remember one person there. I don’t remember her name, but her beliefs were different than those of the majority. She said that she felt alone and judged because of her beliefs. I reflected on how I was a minority when I lived in Washington and had to stand up for myself a lot of the time, just like this girl had to. That experience helped me realize that I shouldn’t be thinking for myself. That wouldn’t change the world, but taking action to help others would.
            To “be the change,” means to takes action. I believe that as action is taken, faith is being exercised. Some ways that I have been able to take action is speaking up for what I think is right, serving others even when I do not feel the desire to, or having the patience and love for others that are frustrating me. That is why Gandhi has been an influence in my life. In his life time he stood up for what he believed, was vocal about it, served those that hated him, and loved them too. In the book “Gandhi an Autobiography the Story of my Experiments with Truth,” forwarded by Sissela Bok, Gandhi says, “I… believed that the British Empire existed for the welfare of the world. A genuine sense of loyalty prevented me from even wishing ill to the Empire”. (313) He strived to master the art of charity. He wanted change in the world and took action to help the change move forward.
            In the seventh grade, I joined the track team. I became friends with a few people that had a different range of beliefs than me. One friend in particular, Daniel, enjoyed to challenge my beliefs. There were times that I had to be blunt and vocal about certain things, which frustrated me at times. But I never thought “ill” of him because he was my friend. I wanted the best for him.
            Another way I have found opportunities to “be the change” is learning to forgive. There have been many who have offended and hurt me, but that was all in the past. I lived in New York for a couple years and lost contact with some important people in my life during that time. Just this last year, I have moved back and have tried to reconnect with some of these friends. When I visited with them, I felt like something was wrong. They were not the same people I left when I first moved to New York. They had started down a dark path and I could not get past that. How could I forgive them of their betrayal towards me? They stopped believing in what I thought was best for everyone. Because of that, we all stopped being friends. For weeks it bothered me, and I started to feel awful. I hated them for it. Because of this I did not want to forgive them and that stopped my faith and action. I could not “be the change [I] wanted to see in the world.”
            I then realized my error. I needed to forgive them and myself for the situation. I needed to let it go. I could not change them; I can only change myself. So, I asked for their forgiveness and have learned to move past it all. Now I try to be their friend and hope and pray for the day when all is well between each of us.
            As I said before, the only person I can change is me. I am the only one who can change the way I view the world and help to make a change. In order to make that change, I need to have hope for a better future and set goals to help guide me to that future. This allows me to grow and have a better influence on those around me.
            Since I first heard the quote, “Be the change you want to see in the world”, (Edburg) I have been trying to apply it to my life. I try to be an influence of good to others and change the world for the better little by little. I believe that by following Gandhi’s words we can become one as people and live in peace together. This is why “Be the change” is my belief.
____________________________________________________________

Works Cited
Edburg, Henrick.”Gandhi’s 10 Rules for Changing the World.
Daily Good. N.P. 28 June 2013. Web. 30 January 2015.
<http://www.dailygood.org/story/466/gandhi-s-10-rules-for-changing-the-world-henrik-edberg/>.
Bok, Sissela. Gandhi an Autobiography the Story of my Experiments with Truth
Boston: Beacon, 1957. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment